Monday, January 18, 2010

Christmas Murals

Mike's nursing home is undergoing remodeling right now. So this past December he asked me to come and paint some Christmas murals on the walls. So, I spent three days painting. I LOVED doing it. They wanted a fun snowball fight across the hallway between the reindeer and Santa and the elves.
The contractors are going to be painting over the murals soon. So I ran in a snagged some photos. The pictures aren't the best (really bad lighting and I had to use my yucky lens so I could fit everything in), but the murals were so fun!! And the sweet people that lived there LOVED them. :) Although, I seriously doubt Mike will ask me to do it again. I think I drove him a bit crazy, because I am a slight perfectionist when it comes to art stuff, and I had myself and whatever kids I had at the moment (if they weren't in school or at dance or somewhere else) with me at the facility for three days off and on. I would go back after Mike would come home from work to finish it all up. Yeah, I think my OCD art stuff drove him a little crazy.

Here is the first section of the hall on one side...

This is the reindeer side. They are a little feisty. :)

This is a shot down the hall (the reindeer side).

Here is a shot down the other side of the hall (the Santa, elves, penguin, and snowman team)

Elves hiding behind a present. One elf had a snowball gun, but that elf got painted over in a test the paint section, :) however you can still see his arm and the gun.

Here is Santa with his wind up!

Splat!!! I've been hit!

Ready for battle!

This is the largest section of wall in the hallway! It was really fun to fill up and paint!

a close up of my favorite part of the mural... the sneaky elves using all their resources. Please note the bottom section of the snowman, some of him has been turned into snowballs. It just makes me giggle. :)

More elves...

These are J's favorite...he loves the reindeer with the shooter antlers. :)

I didn't come up with the ideas, just drew them and painted them. Mike and some of his staff suggested what I should paint. They also had some fluff balls hanging from the ceiling (as snowballs). It was fun for me and I was very happy to have real wet, drippy paint and paint brushes in my hot little hands again, and not the digital ones. I don't get much time to do that now a days. And I couldn't even imagine attempting to paint with all my kiddos around.

I also want to thank my parents for letting me spread my painting wings when I was a teenager and paint on my bedroom walls. And my grandparents for always encouraging me to keep it up. I think your encouragement really made a huge difference in my confidence and desire to develop that talent. And of course, now a days, my hubby for being my biggest supporter of me continuing to paint and do my digital art, and then my kids who make me feel like a rock star when ever they see some of my art. So THANKS!! (Sounds Like I just accepted am academy award or something. hahaha!! I just feel grateful that I have been blessed and encourage to be able to have the opportunity to develop my talents. Sorry for the sap.)

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Looks good.

Misty said...

Grandpa H forwarded it to everyone so he could brag about how good you are!

Cortney Clegg said...

Wow. I am blown away! I knew you did awesome digital stuff, but these murals are AMAZING!

Tree said...

Yay! I'm so happy that you posted the pics! What a fantastic job! Way to go, Am... and love you're acceptance speech! You are truly blessed, as are the amazing people who helped develop you into the fabulous person that you are!

Heather said...

Those are good. I'm impressed that it only took three days.