Sunday, February 22, 2009

Birthday, Friends, Family, and Fun! (then a lil pink eye)

BIRTHDAY + FUN

We have been having lots of fun.  A few weeks ago we celebrated Mike's 35th birthday.  Mike's family has a tradition, and every birthday I curse it. LOL!!  For their birthdays, Mike's mom would cook their favorite meal, no matter how much time or energy it takes.  It really is a great idea!  The kids always felt EXTRA special.  I have also benefited with this tradition and enjoyed choosing part of a meal (I share a bday with my bro in law, Rob, and he graciously shares choosing his meal with me).  I have always chosen to have cauliflower and cheese sauce.  I LOVE it and it REALLY is great!  Sure! Unless one's husbands favorite meal is a full fledged Thanksgiving dinner.  The only person in my family that I have continued on this tradition for is Mike.  He insists!!!  And I am pretty sure my kids don't know yet that they are missing out. ;)  So sure enough, we (and when I say we, I really me I) cooked a HUGE Thanksgiving dinner for his birthday.  It was really yummy and we had a great time.  The kids and I made coupons for him for his bday.  His got coupons included: 1000 kisses, 1 alarm clock (the kids come in a wake us up in the morning and they call themselves our alarm clocks--THANKS kids--LOL), 1000 snuggles, 100 hugs, 1 business trip, etc.  It was a good day!

FRIENDS + FUN

That was Thursday...the next day I spent the ENTIRE day cleaning the downstairs and getting it ready for a young men's activity.  Mike had the older young men from our ward come over to have a Halo night. (x-box game--for those of you who don't know.)  It was a fun night, full of cookies, pizza, soda, chips, and video games.  I think you could say that it was nearly perfect for a bunch of teenage boys (and a few grown men as well).

FAMILY + FUN

Misty, Phil and Ty came over.  They got here that night and Phil got to enjoy the video game night as well.  They spent the whole long weekend with us, and I was so grateful for Misty's help as the weekend progressed.

more FRIENDS + FUN

The following morning we also had a special youth leadership breakfast/BYC type meeting at our house.  Yes, Mike planned one NIGHT activity and then one MORNING meeting one day after the next.  So after spending the Friday preparing the downstairs for the activity, I got to spend early Saturday morning preparing the upstairs for breakfast and a meeting.  This is where Misty was SO SO helpful.  I really think I only finished everything I needed to because she was here helping.

Misty, Mike and then one of the YM, Luis, who was here early to help get us get ready, cooked.  The spread was fabulous, and I really should have taken a picture, but my battery was dead.  (Which reminds me--I need to get an extra battery for my Canon).  We had eggs, pancakes, bacon, fruit and fruit dip, and then a heart shaped bunt cake (it was Valentine's Day, after all).  The youth felt super spoiled, which was the whole point.  So it was worth every minute.  And the meeting was a success.  The planned the combined activities for the entire year.  

FUN

Mike and I did nothing for each other for Valentine's Day.  I have never really been a huge fan of the holiday (commercialized, you should show love all the time, etc, blah, blah, you've heard it all before).  We hadn't talked about doing nothing for each other before; I could've been in big trouble.  So, I was happy when the morning events unfolded.  I went in and kissed Mike and woke him up he asked me, "What did you get me for Valentine's Day."  I responded, "Nothing."  He asked, "Really?"  and I said, "Yep, nothing, really."  And then he kissed me again, and said, "Good."  I was grateful we were on the same page this year.  There is no doubt I love him dearly and appreciate his daily sacrifices and efforts he puts forth for our family,  and likewise that he loves me is completely devoted to me and our children.  It's all good. :)

and more FAMILY + FUN

Sunday we took off to church.  We left and expected that Misty and Phil would be gone when we got home.  Bummer (well, I was actually happy) that they had a flat tire. :)  And HAD to stay the entire weekend.  Sunday afternoon Misty announced, "I HATE your dishes!"  I think between Saturday and Sunday morning we had done 6 loads of dishes.   That was a little extreme because of the breakfast the previous day.  I do hate dishes and laundry, because they are NEVER ending!!

Mike made his famous cheesecake.  We had to negotiate the deal, though.  Misty wanted to learn how to do it, but Mike really wanted chocolate chip cookies instead.  So they made the cheesecake, and then Monday I made the cookies.

Chris, Vanessa, and Bobby joined us that evening.  We waited for them to arrive for dinner and yet another load of dishes. LOL!  We had a fabulously yummy roast, and then enjoyed the cheesecake.  MMMMM!!!!  (Thank you, Misty, for convincing Mike to teach you.) 

We spent a lazy Monday together.  It was great.  I think nearly everyone slept in.  Mike came home EARLY from work to spend time with everyone.  And I mean EARLY!!  11:30 ish. WOW!!  He arrived just in time for the first batch of chocolate chip cookies to come out of the oven.  Perfect timing, Babe. :)

The baby boys, D, Ty, and Bobby are all within three months of each other.  With Ty being the oldest and D the youngest.  It was so fun to have them interact and play together.  We are SO thankful for family and little cousins around us here that our children get to grow up with.  We miss so many of our family members who live all over the US.  They kept us entertained watching each of them doing their own cute things.  AND THEY ARE SOOOOO CUTE!!!

Everyone left Monday night, and we resumed our regularly scheduled program the following week with school, scouts, and homework, and a fun little extra--PINK EYE!!

PINK EYE + no fun!

I go to help out in both J and dd-A's classes on Tuesdays.  I really enjoy it.  It is good to see them at school and to know their teachers well.  It helps me to be more involved and to know how they are doing at school and to have better communication with their teachers.  Well, this last Tuesday I am pretty sure that I caught pink eye while I was there.  By Tuesday night my right eye was red and itchy.  By Wednesday morning it was a bit goopy and very red.  I saw my doctor and got drops, but they aren't helping get rid of it.  So my doctor says it is the viral type--so it just has to run it's course.  UGH!!!  dd-S caught it Friday.  And it looks like my sweet D has it tonight.  UGH!!!!  double UGH!! 

REALLY IMPORTANT NEWS!!!

Last Wednesday J received his Wolf in Cub Scouts.  YAY!!!!!

And that has been our lives these last two weeks.  Pictures to come soon! :)  Thanks for reading my very long post! :)
 

5 comments:

Misty said...

that was a crazy weekend! Did you guys polish off the rest of that cheesecake?

Cortney Clegg said...

I'm incredibly jealous right now. TONS of good food...parties...and family to hang out with?! I should keep pushing Nate to find a job in Washington. :) CRAZY BUSY though- you are one sweet wife to cook an entire Thanksgiving dinner, and then a youth breakfast, and then sunday dinner...wow. There is a reason Thanksgiving comes once a year. Hope your pink gets better- although that must look kinda cool! Green/pink eyes. hahaa!

Brie said...

Pink eye stinks. I'm sorry you had to get that. Hope all is well now. It sounds like other than that, though, you had a fun week.

Dawn said...

Sicky-sweet-lover's-crap-day! Brett and I decided that we would just get one present for the year for each other and call it good for the year. That way when someone asks, "What did Brett get you for your birthday, or Christmas, or Valentine's Day, or anniversary?" we can say, OUR ONE BIG GIFT. Like my watch. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it...Christmas, birthday, Valentine's. I will use it for Mother's Day, Anniversary, and any other time this year. It works well, especially since if there is anything I really want, I go out and get it. Maybe next year my "big item" will be a new computer. Here's dreaming.

Dawn said...

Maybe I just should have published a post on my blog. =D Sorry that last comment is way too long.