Saturday, December 13, 2008

Dance Recital (no pictures, but I think I figured out video)

Recital this year was crazy.  Mike out of town, so I was on my own.  In addition, we did to shows on the same day.  The studio has grown so much and because we live in a tiny little town there is no auditorium large enough for everyone who wants to come.  So we did two shows.  SIGH!!

I cannot tell you how so very proud I am of my girls.  dd-A admitted to me in the car that she was so nervous, more than normal.  Of course she should be, who wouldn't be.  My goodness, these little girls get up in front of a huge crowd and dance.  They really did great, and yes, I am biased. :)

Valuable lessons have been learned over time with my camera.  I have learned that sometimes I have to sacrifice photos to be IN the moment and not to cause more stress in crazy situations. As a result, NO pictures were taken tonight.  Which I am totally OK with because, I have also learned to compensate for the lack of photos by staging a photo shoot. :)  I will make both girls get dressed in full garb again for more photos at home. :)  So the recitals are less stressful for everyone involved.

As I mentioned, Mike was out of town for the recital.  When we spoke the morning of, he told me that he was sad that he was missing their dances.  So I decided I would try hard to record them.  I am grateful for Teresa who kept J with her during the first recital while I ran around changing costumes and making sure children were where they needed to be, and for our friends who took him during the second recital so he could play.  And I am thankful that lil D was in a good mood tonight.  And also for the church girls and our neighbor's daughter who helped change costumes and look out for my daughters to get them where they needed to be.  Everything came together to make tonight great.

The first recital was a run through for me.  We had a total of five dances (=five costume changes) and all of our dances were in the first 16 numbers.  You can do the math, I was a little busy.  hahaha!!  The second recital was awesome.  Both girls were more comfortable on the stage and remembered their dances better.  I pulled out the video camera and managed to record all but one dance.  One major downside of Mike being gone was that I was holding D while recording...I apologize in advance for the bad recording job.  It was the best I could to while holding a rascally 1 year old. :)

The second recital was optional for S's class.  The instructor wasn't going to have them in the second show, but then realizing that my dd-A was going to be in it, so dd-S was going to be there anyway, so she put them in.  Well, it looked like S was going to do a solo for the second recital.  There are only 5 girls in her class anyway, and they all had prior commitments for the evening.  In the end, S's dearest friend (her "bestest friend in the whole world" as she stated tonight) decided to go late to their party so she could come for that ONE number and dance with S.  It was so cute...

dd-S and her bestest friend in the whole world.



dd-A has always loved ballet, and this is the first year she was old enough to take a ballet only class.  She loves it.  She concentrates VERY hard to make her body balance and move like it is supposed to.  Her teacher tells her she has great pointe, and every once in a while she gets to lead her class in the bar exercises.  (That is also because she has an incredible memory and remembers what each step is in their proper name).

dd-A's ballet dance (dd-A is the tallest one, the second one from the left)


dd-S's big production number.  It was hard to get a good shot of her, but you can see her red feather hair piece bopping up and down and every once in a while get a decent glimpse of her dancing.




If any of you know my dd-A you know she does not like things to change once she has them set in her mind.  Flexibility is something we continually discuss.  At the same time, her need for structure is something I am continually reminding myself.  Well, this was a great moment for her.  After dressing in her costume she discovered that she only had ONE of the proper tap shoes (luckily she left her old ones in her bag).  To her, the mental process would go something like..."I don't have my tap shoe, we have to have the right tap shoe or we can't dance...I don't have my right tap shoe so I am not going to be able to dance..."  Then the tears would come.  We discussed how there were NO options, and she would need to wear her old tap shoes.  Not ONE tear was shed, and I was bracing for at least a stream. :)  Her dance was hard and fast.  She did great.

dd-A's tap dance (she is the one all the way on the right)


All in all it was a good night. :)

3 comments:

Misty said...

i'm glad you filmed it. They both look great! how fun for yoda to dance with her best friend! =)

Miriam said...

I loved seeing those darling girls dance. I even enjoyed D's contribution (the moving camera). Thanks for sharing such fun with us.

Dawn said...

Very cute. Ours is this week - Friday.