Mother's Day yesterday was fabulous. I was spoiled and doted on through out the day. We did nothing but go to church today, and I got to spend the whole relaxing day with the fam. Mike woke early and went to his pre-church planning meetings (as usual, the kids and I joined him a bit later for the actual service), but today instead of waking me before he left, he woke J, who is 8 years old. Mike asked him if he knew what today was, and he quickly replied, "It's Mother's Day; we have to do something!" So the plan was made. They decided that he and his sisters, (age 6 and 4) needed to make me breakfast in bed before we left for church. Mike suggested a nice bowl of cereal, and J told him that I like oatmeal better. Mike asked him if he knew how to make it and J confidently told him how. So Mike believed he did, and off he went to his meetings, leaving them to make my breakfast...alone. :D LOL!
I was awakened by my darling children coming into my room carrying a Santa Claus tray. On it was carefully placed a mug of Emergen-C, a bowl of oatmeal, a cheese stick, and two suckers. The PERFECT breakfast. They had succesfully made me breakfast in bed. They were smiling ear to ear and were so very proud of themselves. I didn't take a picture, and I have been kicking myself all day about it, but it was a terrific moment. Of course, I was a bit hesitant as I looked at the oatmeal, and it was quite watery. I touched the bowl and felt it was completely cold. uh oh! Still, I smiled at my children and told them how sweet and thoughtful they were. I told them that I loved it, and it looked so fabulous! I am not sure if you have had oatmeal that was cooked for only 30 seconds, but trust me, it is cold, grainy, watery and very uncooked. In addition to the oatmeal, they tried to make it JUST how I like it, which is a little odd. I usually add cottage cheese (for protein), cinamon, and just a pinch of brown sugar (for flavor). They sweetly added cold cottage cheese to my already cold oatmeal, and in their words, "put in extra brown sugar to make it super yummy." ooohhhh!!! Go ahead, imagine it!
There we were. Me sitting in bed with the tray on my lap, and them looking at me in anticipation of my first bite of their masterpiece. and Yes, I ate some of it. :) How could I not with those big proud eyes staring at me. LOL!! It was awesome!!
Later that day, while we were eating lunch the kids admitted that they weren't EXACTLY sure how long to cook it, so they put it in for 30 seconds, then 5 more, it was still cold, so for 2 more seconds and then 1 more second just to be sure it was finished. They asked me, "How long do you REALLY cook oatmeal for?" I told them 1 1/2 mintes to 2 minutes. They looked at each other with the look of "UH OH!", and I quickly told them it was just fine though because there was nothing better that a breakfast made full of love from my kiddos. :) They smiled and told me next year they would cook it longer. LOL!
Love those kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That's cute and very sweet!
see, Mist! I told you you were the only one that reads my blog. LOL!!
Yummy! I love Mother's Day!!!
Love it! What a yummy breakfast! You're kids totally rock!
Way to be a good mommy and eat your oatmeal. Next time they don't want to eat your food you can guilt trip with them with "I ate YOUR oatmeal . . ." :)
Oh that is so adorable. I love when the kids make breakfast in bed. Sounds like you had a wonderful day!
Look at all the comments on this one. i'm not the only one! the last one was too novel-esque...so many words scares readers away!
Post a Comment